Saturday, January 9, 2010

Genesis

Colebrook, CT - My wife and I decided to take on a new project, but this time we will not be doing most of the work. My wife saw this building in the Realestate.com and thought it would be a cool place to live. We did our "due diligence" and decided that would be in our budget to get this in livable condition. We always wanted some place with an open floor plan and this fit the bill. Also, it is across the street from a river, another thing we wanted.


The building is 49'x 33' and two and a half stories high. In the real estate listing, it said that it had a full basement(just a crawl space), and needed a few finishing touches(it is gutted). I read another listing that said it had two bedrooms and a bathroom...it is just a shell! One more thing that was not communicated, the back wall is just a tarp. Anyway, we are not the kind of people that would quibble over a few small details and went ahead and bought it; closing in a few days.



Some history as I know it so far. It was originally built as a church in 1800, in 1938 it was converted to a grange hall. Somewhere along the line the church windows were removed and smaller ones were put in to replace them and a second story was added inside. As I find out more I will communicate the information here.


I hope everyone will follow along on our new adventure and wish us luck. I will try to document every step along the way and hopefully we will end up with one cool house...and hopefully in budget! We are not ones to do too much planning and we are kind of winging it on the final look. We had plans drawn up for the structural part of the house but the finishing touches are not finalized.

Comments are welcome, let me know what you think. Tomorrow photos of the inside.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your purchase Bill! YOu both must be very excited. I will be back frequently to watch your progress and reprimand you guys if you slack off too much!
    :)
    Happy New Year!

    Peace................
    ♪♪♫

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great project! I wish you well and look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed, a few details indeed. And my husband is complaining about putting in a new bathroom! Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete